Wednesday 26 May 2010

Anthony Goicolea

You know there is nothing better than stumbling across an amazing artist with work which you seem to connect to instantly. Anthony Goicolea is the sort of artist I feel like I should have known about years ago, but now that I have discovered his work it feels like finding treasure or something. Or more like going into an antique shop and seeing the most wonderful old tea set that has been around for years and years slowly progressing on its lifetime journey until it finds you.
Or something like that.
Since finding his work a few hours ago (I know, I know) it seems to me he's best known for his self portrait tableaus such as the Detention series (2001-02), which takes heavy influences from Cindy Sherman (who I also love FYI). However my favourite series (so far) has to be the magical Septemberists (2006) series. It is just wonderful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment