Monday 22 March 2010

Urban Utopia

A few weeks ago I had some work in  a big exhibition put on in this huge empty office block. Basically it was put on by the owners of the building to attract potential buyers, however at the same time they managed to stage a great exhibition, and I don't think the focus was anywhere but on the art on the day of the private view. The exhibition showcased the work of UoR fine art students who were invited to submit a work or a proposal to be considored for submission, under the title Urban Utopia. I entered these masks which were featured in a film I made last year.


To maintain an Urban Utopia we must stay alive. My work confronts this ideal directly with a vision of mortality. Instead of being hidden in the back of one’s mind, the symbol of death – the skull – is brought to the surface in the form of a wearable mask. As a piece of costume my work invites the viewer to physically wear their own mortality. As an art object my work invites the viewer to come face to face with death. In doing so I propose you value the life you have left.


We have got to stay alive.   
I know the place looks pretty empty in the photo above, but trust me this place was massive!
I didnt get any other good pictures of other peoples work (I am so self obsessed, clearly) so you'll have to wait til I can find some from other people, ya.
 (Cardigan: Rodarte for Target, Black Skinny Jeans: H&M, Blue zip top: DIY funtimes, Rope Necklace: DIY funtimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment