Wednesday 24 March 2010

Softly, they creep softly.


Over the weekend I've sort of developed a fascination/crush on stop motion animation. It started with this wonder, Lost Things by Angela Kohler and Ithyle Griffiths. I like it because although it is sort of trendy, it still has this sort of imperfect quality about it which makes it rather charming. Plus some of the effects in it are just stunning. The music is by A Fine Frenzy.



On sharing this with my Facebook pals, the ever wonderful Arianne alerted me to the work of her brother Huw Churchman who is currently studying stopmotion animation himself. So rad, I fully would love to do it. Heres his first animation Stop Motion Animation Hero! (I don't think its actually called that, but I like it, no?). My favourite thing about this is the spider fingers. Awesome!


Also reccomended by Arianne, via Huw, is this work, Next: The Infinate Variety Show, by Barry Purves. Honestly the work that must have gone into this is astonishing. I think its so charming, and gives me a real warm sense of nostalgia. Perhaps the fact it was made the year I was born adds to this! Its so complex with not one dull moment.


This is just a cute little short I found on YouTube by Pes called Western Spaghetti. The sounds and colours in it are fantastic, I just love how imaginative it is.


And finally, I found this, the absolutely stunning Madame Tutli-Putli by Chris Lavis and Maciek Szczerbowski. Not only is the 17 minute long "Hitchcockian" story full of creepster mystery and surreal characters, as well as a beautifully arranged soundtrack, but visually it is a dreamtime treat for the wide awake. The colours remind me of a Jean Pierre Jeunet film, althought I don't really like to compare. The techniques they perfected in the animation, and thier extreme attention to detail meant it took almost five years to create. You must read about the process (here) as it sounds like such a labour of love it makes me adore the film even more. For example; To properly corrupt the look of the Thieves, their leather coats were buried in mud for over two weeks. The puppet eye effects demonstrate a first in the field of animation: a seamless, unnerving integration of human and puppet performance. The filmmakers were intent on creating a unique puppet language, imbuing their stop-motion characters with human responses. 
Lucky for us, YouTube has the full 17 minute feature as part of thier 'Screening Room'. So get comfortable, dismiss any distractions, and enjoy Madame Tutli-Putly...

No comments:

Post a Comment