Wednesday 23 June 2010

Weegee

While perusing the library the other day looking for books to help with my impending dissertation (YUCK) I happened upon a couple of photo books which are just soooo great I feel bad about not having heard of them before.
Weegee (aka Arthur Fellig) began his career in the 1930s New York with a police radio in his car finding the gritty happenings of the city, always on the lookout for tomorrows front page image. The first book I found, Naked City, is full of such images.

The quality (and by this, I mean the atmospheric quality) soon got him bigger more glamorous gigs in the clubs and night spots of NY. The second book I got, Weegee's people, contained all of these.
Both sets of images are totally fascinating to me, and in this strange sort of way theres not much difference between the two, despite them seeming to be worlds apart in terms of location and subject matter. As soon as this here bloggy allows me to upload images from my camera Ill take some snaps of the books, theyre GEMS!

No comments:

Post a Comment