Wednesday 2 June 2010

Louise Bourgeois 1911-2010

I think I thought Louise Bourgeois was the kind of person who would live forever, and I know in many ways she will, but still this is a harsh reminder of mortality and the impermenance of beauty.
A few years ago there was a Bourgeois retrospective at Tate Modern. I remember my art teacher telling me it was a once in a lifetime sort of exhibition. I remember thinking it was a really strange thing to say, since exhibitions are going on all the time and I can go anytime if I want to see her work. Suddenly I understand and I regret not going so much.
I remember seeing Maman in the Turbine Hall, and it was probably one of my first experiences of looking at real art. Although it probably now hold the least sentimental value for me in terms of Bourgeois' work, there is no denying its dizzying effect.
Its definately true (In the words of Joni Mitchell) that you don't know what you got til' its gone, and I think this is another sad example for me. However I would also like to remember that LB was born in 1911... which means she was 98... I think thats pretty good going, so I think its pretty fair to celebrate the life she had rather than mourn the life she lost. Amen yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment