Thursday 10 June 2010

A Single Man


After months of waiting (limited release films make me sad, especially when theyre released when Im too busy to travel to see them), I finally got to see Tom Ford's stunning A Single Man.
For me it was a late night viewing, I starting watching at gone 11pm. Usually this means I will start to gently nod off half way through, slipping into a deep coma of sleep by the end. Although I absolutely did not intend fot this to be the outcome, in the back of my mind I thought it was going to be inevitable. Yet still the mood was right and I was determined to at least begin to watch the film.
I neednt have worried, because from the very very start I was moved, captivated and 100% alert enough to watch the whole beautiful thing.
Ford, as a director, appears just as maticulous as his designs. His attention to detail is perfect and really helps to carry the plot. The whole film feels so complete, the styalization mirroring the characters and adding further elements to the story. It is difficult to see this is his debut feature, and I truly hope it is the first of many.



As an actor I have never really rated Colin Firth. Although it has always been clear he has some form of ability, I think it is his choice of characters that have always let him down. I have to see after watching A Single Man I was really blown away by his performance, and I believe his critical acclaim was well worth the hype. He has a true subtlety about him, and yet there is no denying he solidly fits into his character and is truly believable. There are also two brilliant performances from Nicholas Hoult and Jullianne Moore - and although perhaps it was Moore's character who I thought was not perhaps the most brilliantly defined, and perhaps found her slightly off kilter with the rest of the film - I thought she really did find a great way to portray her, so snaps to Julianne.
Finally (woah all this writing. Have I even swore yet? shit...) Arianne (cool name) Phillips really did do an amazing job with the costmes. Although it is easy to spot the Tom Ford designed pieces (I think most, if not all, of Colin Firth's), Phillips found a way to include them seamlessly. You could tell that they were not used for the sake of using Tom Ford garments in a Tom Ford film. Really the styling is wonderful. Oh and as is the set design! But really I think I must stop talking now. Here is the trailer (Which actually I have to say is really really not representative of the actual film at all). Watch the film. I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. I KNEW this would be good. cant wait to see it. nice review.
    love
    b xxx

    ReplyDelete