Wednesday 9 March 2011

Vegan for Lent: Day 1

Guess what! I've decided to become Vegan for Lent!!
OK, I will try and make this not-boring, but I thought it might be nice to document this a bit.
There a few reasons why I've decided to do this, and I would firstly like to point out its not for any religious reasons. While I obviously realise that Lent is a Christian tradition, Im pretty sure that (in Britain at least) its not really about that anymore for alot of people, and instead its just a chance to give up something we find 'bad' in the hope of making us better people, at least for the 40 days. And this is what its about for me really; I've been thinking about trying veganism for a little while now, and I think that these next 40 days will be the perfect time to test the water a bit.
My decision was spurred by my university's Vegan/Vegeterian Society - which I actually didn't know we had. Aparently its not a very active society, however I did happen upon one of their posters in the art department advertising VEGAN FOR LENT. After speaking to one of the members of the society, who also happens to be a fellow finalist in the art department, I was pretty convinced, and she even sent me a great pdf (compiled by the society) with loads of vegan recipes in, some of which I was really suprised about!
And so for the last few weeks Ive been preparing myself for the change. This involved  telling lots of people about my plans - this was quite important for me because often I plan to do something and then at the last minute I think, well, maybe I wont. However with the expectations of alot of people on my shoulders I can't really back out of this one! And I don't want to!!
Next I began a process of weaning myself off cheese and chocolate - my two biggest vices in life. This weaning was not so successful and I probably ended up eating more of it, in a bid to savour the experience. In fact I ended up eating a ball and a half of mozarella, only yesterday - oops! Also I have 3 ferrero rochers that I didnt get to eat before today, which are going to fucking TAUNT ME!!!
On monday I took a trip to Holland & Barret (I am lucky coz there are two large stores right in town), as I know thanks to my BFF that theyre great for the vegan/vegeterian substitutes. I bought fake cheese, fake ham and fake mayonaise, as well as a pasta sauce to get me started - I plan to start making better meals throughout though, once I get more confidant with the ingredients available to me. I know it seems strange becoming a vegan and then just loading my fridge with substitutes of the real thing, but this is something I think I will discuss another time. Maybe tomorrow?

And so here I am on day one, googling all the ingredients of Tesco Frosted Flakes to see if I can eat them with my soy milk (I can), and this is how it starts! Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

  1. I strangely have a few vegan cake recipes as my Mother cannot eat eggs so often the recipes that she makes are vegan. Also Rose Elliot has a nice vegan cookery book which I believe isn't to dear in price.

    ReplyDelete