Sunday 13 February 2011

Never Let Me Go


Well I haven't done any sort of film review (if you could ever call them that, hah) in a while, so I thought that is what I would do today.
So on Friday I watched Never Let Me Go, Mark Romanek's new film, based upon the book by Kazuo Ishiguro and starring Kieran Knightly (Ruth), Andrew Garfield (Tommy) and Carey Mulligan (Kathy). I have to admit I watched it not knowing really anything about the plot, except (at least I thought) that it followed three friends growing up. I think this not knowing caused quite alot of confusion for me at the beginning of the film, as I was presented this vision of nostalgia (the film is set in the 1978, 1985 and 1994 respectively) which seemed to be laced with this underlying futuristic science fiction notion, which was difficult to place until it was plainly explained (In a really wonderful scene with Sally Hawkins as Miss Lucy). I think this not knowing actually helped my experience with the film as it compelled me to keep watching, despite the slow plot, and I think in turn this meant I kept thinking about the film after I'd watched it, when otherwise I think it was possibly quite a forgettable film. I suppose I always enjoy this feeling of underlying secrets and that everything is not as it seems. I think for this reason I wont go too much into the plot here, oks.
Ok, so like I said the film is sort of forgettable and I think after reading a few reviews after watching the film, this seems to be the general census of the critics, however I dont think thats too important in terms of the general enjoyment when watching the film, sometimes its ok just to watch something once and enjoy it and then forget about it. I think maybe the reason for this (and I think its a good thing rather than a bad) is that its a really subtle film, not everything is always shown or revealed plainly, which for some might make for a boring story but for me I think it bought a gengtle poeticness to it which I really liked. Have I contradicted myself much yet? well nevermind I'll carry on.
In terms of acting I thought it was all really good. Kiera didnt annoy me tooo much which is always a good thing, Andrew Garfield was also good but I really find it difficult to watch him without thinking of Sugar Rush - not neccessarily a bad thing. Really the best acting of the film was Carey Mulligan, who I havent really seen in a film (Keep meaning to watch An Education) except Pride and Prejudice, but I dont really remember her in that. I must say I really can understand why there has been such a big fuss about her in the last year or so, she really is lovely, really nice to watch.
I was reading a review in The Big Issue and a quote from it which really amused me was 'Three of Britain's most glamorous film stars spend much of the picture swaddled in dowdy jumpers' - for me I thought the costume design was really lovely. I thought they looked so nice throughout, like how I would like to dress everyday, with a lovely colour pallette which worked rreally well with the sets and landscapes, and general feel of the film.
So I guess this 'review' has been sort of mixed. To sum it up I would say that although generally it is the sort of film I would only watch once, it left many questions in my head which made me continue to think about it. er yeah just as mixed. I guess watch it and we'll talk. The trailer is below but I think it gives WAY TOO MUCH away. like its once of those annoying ones where you're left feeling like youve just watched the whole film in 3 minutes. So I wouldnt watch it before you see it.

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to watch it simply becayse i'm such amovie fanatic. but the trailer left me wondering what the hell is so damn special about "hailsham," and in particular the movie. anyway, i'll watch it and see if i like it, personally. lol. i hope it won't be as regrettable or, as forgettable as you say it is.

    if you ever have time, i recently watched a movie called "keith," you should watch that too :)

    ReplyDelete