Sunday 20 February 2011

MERL

I recently found out that Im super lucky and I didnt even know it. Well not generally super lucky, just super lucky because of where I live, ie a 5 minute walk from one of the nicest museums Ive ever been to!!
I visted a year or so ago because I was in a film that screened there, but at the time I didnt visit the actual museum, and since then I didnt return!
Even  since I moved (into said location, 5 minutes walk from the museum), I still hadn't visited, despite my closeness. However I finally returned last week, thanks to my art department which is organizing an exhibition there.
Well, after all this ramblin' talk I realise I havent even said anything about the meseum; the Museum of English Rural Life - or MERL. Its SO NICE! Its just full of visual display, old tractors and ploughs and carts EVERYWHERE! stacked high to the ceiling! everything is so interesting about it, and it smells nice too. Nothing nicer than the smell of a museum.  Well since Im having one of those mornings where everything I am trying to say is coiming out as five muddled sentences instead of just one, I will just show you some pictures from the museum instead!! Theyre all REALLY bad qual though, need a better camera!!!


Pig tattooing!! Wish my camera was better...


Again, this is a really crap photo and doesnt really capture how nice this display is, which goes all the way to the ceiling.


I even got to play dress up!!!

These strange straw animals were lovely, and reminded me of my BFFs Christmas tree decorations, which are my favourite in the world.

This is probably the best putyourheadinthehole(?) thingy I have ever seen!!!


Probably my favourite part of the museum is the opnions board at the end. Its so interesting to see peoples opinions of the countryside! Especially because the museum is in a town, so I guess alot of the visitors are from towns too. Well Im 100% country and this is exactly how I feel too!!

Well I dont know if this shabby attempt convinced you, but if you live in/near Reading its definately worth a visit. Here is the museums website which probably is better than just looking at this...

No comments:

Post a Comment