Sunday 16 January 2011

Why Look at Animals?

For the presentation of the pre-fall collection, Lanvin has released  THIS set of images, all featuring taxidermy animals alongside the models.
Im having a hard time forming an opinion of this shit in my brains. I have to say first of all that Im reeeally not diggin' like 75% of the collection in terms of styling and the actual pieces themselves. There seem to be lots of ill fitting shoes, and also just plain ugly shoes, and also what the fuck is that gross grey beanie shit??? OK there are also really lovely pieces - I particuarly enjoy the ruffle collar and the wine coloured wool coat, but mainly it looks tacky, deffo not the Lanvin elegance I am used to.
OK, so the animals. Its deffo not the first time that Lanvin has used animals in its promotion - the Fall 09 campaign with the cats remains actually one of my favourite campains ever... the look on the cats face is just actually priceless. For me however, I am not convinved by the inclusion of the animals for this lookbook. They are static and dead, and if anything they are a negative feature - how can you attempt to sell an exotic fur coat while standing next to a carcass?
So you see how Im mixed up? I have quite a large collection of taxidermy which I use in my artistic practice and always find aesthetically pleasing and always apreciate the use of it, particuarly in fashion stories. But for me this falls short. I have learnt in my explorations of the medium, and also from alot of research and stuff Ive been working on recently, all of it based on animals, that you really need to have a respect and understanding for the animal before just using it. Like it feels too PROP based, yknow.... Like they think they can take the vast beauty of nature and it will transfer into the garments? I actually dont know. I mean part of me still actually really likes it. I mean animals are the best. WOW, I RAMBLE. Heres the pix.


Tell me your opinions?? Tell me Im not going TOO insane? Tell me to stop writing because I'm bad at it?

5 comments:

  1. STOP WRITING! YOU'RE BAD AT IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on writing you are absolutely fine at it Toby. I think that the taxidermy makes it look kind of clumsy and clunky overall. I also think that the slanted camera angles do not help at all and as does the setting which looks like a shop storeroom. There are many things in which taxidermy has and can be used and it will work well, I think like you say there has to be a knowledge on the subject and also I think a clever utilisation of the past for it to work well. I think these photos are a culmination of several bad factors, essentially they just look a bit naff and cheap really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no my dissertation has proved that writing is not exactly my strong point, and also that if I ever have to write anything ever again I might go insane. My dissertaion mark is going to be a tale of woe. But on a positive note, tomorrow I shall bring in your pheasant wings! If you're not there then I shall leave them on your desk.

    ReplyDelete