Wednesday 18 August 2010

Ga ga ga go go go go got to Runaway


So last week I watched the new Runaways film.
I guess there was severals reasons why I did and why I didn't want to watch it. Reasons against include things like me really not liking Kristen Stewart, wondering how they could successfully portray the epicness of Joan Jett and the Runaways and totally convey how revolutionary (Can I say that? whatev) they were, and also the amount of times Micheal K had blasted it on Dlisted, I was not exactly swayed.
But then again any film depicting this era espeically one on girl bands like the runaways, pretty much appeals to me straight away regardless. I was also really curious to see how Dakota Fanning would live up to such a role, especially as this really is her crossover film out of the whole child actor thing. Plus while clips were being posted on dlisted most of the time I couldnt watch them because they were only viewable in the US, so really I didnt know what to expect.

Well anyway, I watched it, and this is what I thought.
First of all I really enjoyed the direction and the cinematography was just how I would have liked to have seen it. Soft light at all the right moments, while dark and gritty at others with sudden flashes of epilepsy to bring energy just when it was needed. I think Floria Sigismondi really paid attention to detail when it comes to how she wanted the audience to see what was happening.
I think Dakota and Kristen as the leads was perfect casting and I think both did relaly great performances. I think I even like K-Stew a bit now? I think actually its films like this why she is an actor and why she doesnt have to smile all the time and why she should never have been in Twilight. I think I would like both her and the twilight films so much more if she'd never been in them.

In terms of the story, there were definately moments where I lost interest in the characters, mainly towards the end, and I do think the end was a bit blurry actually. I dont exactly want to give much away in terms of the film (but since its based on real events its not like im giving away a great plot twist, know what I mean) but the way it jumped from Cherie tanked up in the supermarket to cleaned up working in the cake shop was sort of a big leap and not exactly explained. I guess in a way I understand though - the film was sort of the perfect not-too-long length and if they'd gone into any more great detail on those bits then it would have made it too long, ya know. Plus I think maybe if you wanna know the details you should read Cherie Currie's book Neon Angel on which the film was based - I fully intend to.
So I think overall I really enjoyed it just for what it was superficially as a film. Im not saying it was totally amazing and award winning, but I loved the story and the acting and I wasnt bored or anything so that makes it good in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment