Wednesday 8 December 2010

Lanvin, H&M and Me.


Hi babies how have you all been? I feel like I havent posted on here properly in ages, and this is actually the truth. I have been hella busy with art shows and visiting friends and getting into the festive spirit and generally living, time has slipped by. Well hello here I am, and I expect soon I shall have more time to have fun here.
So yeah this week I was in Birmingham visiting my BFF. Well can you imagine my surprise when I went into H&M into the bullring and saw a pair of the much desired (on my account) Blue shiney Lanvin X H&M Oxfords??? Oh man, I died. I really thought they had all sold out, and oh what better luck when the very pair was my very size. Well of course, me being an impulse buyer I grabbed the (slightly beaten) box and skipped my way to the till.
On purchasing the shoes of joy, I felt instant guilt. And not good guilt. I suddenly realised I'd spent a hard earnt (Yes, Im a student with a student loan but I also have a job thank you very much) £60 on disco shoes I would probably only wear once or twice with caution, which would probably give me blisters and also at the end of the day are from H&M, not exactly renowned for their quality.
Still, I skipped on. I popped into Pop Store which is just opposite, where they have loads of nice jewellry and and actually some decent menswear too. While here I got chatting to the sales girl and ended up showing her the shoes, which she seemed to enjoy. Even the sales boy came over and seemed impressed... However neither of them enjoyed the shoes in the way that I was, that they were blue and ineteresting but also, importantly, they were from the LANVIN collection!! They seemed oblivious in fact, that such a thing has ever existed. Somehow I didnt get the usual sense of satisfaction at having bought something really nice. This is hard to explain.
Still I skipped on, next thing I knew I was in another shoe shop gazing adoringly at some amazing purple canvas dr Martens with a thick white sole. Although I do have a few pairs of boots I have actually never owned any DMs (well, I have some cherry red shoes with a reallllllly thick bouncy sole which are pretty heavenly, but not boots) although I have actually wanted some for a million years. It was while looking at the dr martens, which were actually all the same price as the shoes Id just bought, that I knew I had definately made a mistake. I looked into the lanvin box, inspecting the shoes further. There were loose threads, and you could see some of the glue on the soles. Compared to the lifetime quality of the DMs they looked flimsy, and well, pretty shit. It was then I knew I would have to make the painful sacrifice of taking the shoes back for a refund. Although I had all these reasons in my head for why I shouldnt keep them, it was still difficult. You know sometimes you just need NICE LOOKING THINGS, you know what I mean? Well my friends, it just wasnt to be. A mere hour after purchasing the prized L4H&M shoes, I was back in the queue to return them. And thats just what I did. And now all that remains is this nifty little dust bag which I guess I sort of stole from the box....
Well the next day I went back and bought some amazing green docs, which actually with my student discount were only £53.99, almost £10 cheaper than the oxfords. And you know what I think I sort of love them.
Moral of the story, I think about shoes too much.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed that post! Not that I enjoyed reading about your guilt, just that someone else out there is as impulsive as me and yet also slightly too sensible for my own good. I frequently skip home with a bag full of disco goodies only to return sheepishly the very next day and exchange them for soem sensible black jeans or jumpers for work :(

    One day we will dance in our glittery delights guilt free!

    ReplyDelete